CBET Study Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CBET Study Forum

Meeting the needs of today's Biomedical Equipment Technician, this forum was designed to give you refresher training on subjects that may be found on the CBET exam.

Main PortalMain Portal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Introducing ourselves.

Go down 
+15
tnagle
lilhunt25
1MReynoso
RichardF
aarmenta
jcjimenez
spinkik1
clstephenson
jjohnson
jboulter
hurst54
jnewell
DaveS
Greg Bales
Admin
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Introducing ourselves. Empty
PostSubject: Introducing ourselves.   Introducing ourselves. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 1:52 pm

This was a great idea DaveS! I appreciate your input.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cbetstudyforum.com
Greg Bales

Greg Bales

PostSubject: Re: Introducing ourselves.   Introducing ourselves. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 2:12 pm

Hi, my name is Greg Bales (as you can see haha) and I'm a former AF Bio-med.

I'm currently working in the Kingdom of Bahrain on a USAF contract for their War Reserve Materiel program (if anyone is familiar). Pretty interesting place, I'm learning a lot.

My experience is limited to clinical and aero-evac equipment, and in the future I would like to get more into a more advanced hospital environment.

Interests:

-Problem Solving
-Computers
-Snowboarding
-Digital Art
-B-Side Horror Movies
-Cooking/Eating lol

(haha oh yeah, and I'm a total A&P Geek.)

I'm originally from Rochester, New York and haven't stayed there since I was of age. Have been all over the world so far, and I want to come get a chance to enjoy my good old USA!

In one years time I hope to move to Southern California and start a family, hone my skills, and live the good life!

That's enough about me for now. Keep easy.

-Greg cheers

Introducing ourselves. Sigcopy
-Shall there be truth between us, as two men? Not as friends, but as equals? There is an offer you will get rarely, Roland. Only equals speak the truth, that's my thought on't. Friends and lovers lie endlessly, caught in the web of regard.-

Last edited by Greg Bales on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
DaveS

DaveS

PostSubject: Re: Introducing ourselves.   Introducing ourselves. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 2:28 pm

Considering I brought this up, I will enter a few of my details.

1. I'm almost as old as dirt, thus my age is not given in my profile.
2. I'm an underachiever in my mind ... probably too much to know, but its true... why? I love my job as a BMET. Why move and thrive for management?
3. I'm opinionated ... somewhat ... It appears that the BMET profession has been really stagnant. May be a misconception on my part, but I will flush that thought out at a later time. This site is really good to see.

OK ... the meat and potatoes

I became a BMET back in 1977, for the US Navy ... back when there were still vacuum tubes. What are those, you may ask?
I attended the US Army biomed school in Denver back in 1979-80 .. the long course. I had previous training as an aircraft mechanic and electronics, so did not attend the basic course.
Was a Navy biomed for 10 years, stationed in Newport RI, Puerto Rico, and Maine.

1987 I took a position with EI DuPont servicing clinical chemistry analyzers. Stayed there for 10 years until they sold the business off to Dade. Was transferred to Sorvall, which later became Kendro Lab Products, a major centrifuge manufacturer, and stayed with them until 2004.

2004 I got back into the biomed field, accepting a position with Aurora Healthcare in Wisconsin, servicing a small 70 bed hospital in a one man shop.

I was just transferred in October to a new construction hospital near Milwaukee, consisting of a 245,000 sq foot Medical Office Building/Clinic and a state of the art hospital of approximately 600,000 sq. ft. 112 beds. This will eventually be a shop with 3 general biomeds, and an imaging person on site. I'm all by myself right now. The hospital opens 1 March 2010, so its a big inventory equipment check-in event.

Education wise, again, I attended the US Army advanced biomed school, have an AS in Biomedical Equipment, a BS degree in business, some work on an MBA, and 5 courses short of a degree in computer science. A smattering of service schools, and other seminars on customer service, sales, etc etc.

Never went for my CBET. An opinion,..one of the things I noted quite often is that a lot of people can pass a test, but quite frankly, make a real bad technician. BUT ... I have , after all these years, seen things in a bit of different light. To be considered a professional, its real nice to have some type of certification or license. I would prefer to see the biomed profession move to state licensing along with the CBET. I believe it would improve the perception of our field.

So, I am now going to study and prepare for the CBET, and this site should be a real help in doing so.

OH .. edited to add: interests outside of work ...
3D modeling/graphics
Art
fishing
site-seeing ... but outside. I love the lakeshore, being out in the woods, mountains, and all that natural stuff. Tree hugger. Finally got a chance to see the Grand Canyon ..it is. Now to make it to Alaska before I croak.
Reading .... sci fi and politics. what a combo.
Back to top Go down
jnewell

jnewell

PostSubject: Re: Introducing ourselves.   Introducing ourselves. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 2:50 pm

Merry Christmas All!
My name is J.C. Newell and I'm an Army trained Biomed. I have been in the field for more than 10 years -not trying to date myself Embarassed Before I was a BMET, I was an Aircraft Electrician working on Blackhawks and Shinooks. I served in the Army for 5 years and my hubby is still currently serving. Hopefully, he will retire next year. I am hoping to get my CBET Certification and finish up my degree just to better myself.
I have 2 teenagers....need a beer just after saying that! And two of the oddest dogs out there, half Dashund and half Rotweiller. Short, fat, with big heads! I love to laugh and look forward, with eager anticipation to see what the future holds.
I am currently working in the DFW area and am still learning alot.

Well enough about me, what about you?!
Back to top Go down
hurst54

PostSubject: Re: Introducing ourselves.   Introducing ourselves. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 10:57 pm

Hurst54,
Hi, I served in the U.S.Army for a few years in the communication electronic repair field. I thought I would transfer my electronic background into the medical field. I graduated in May 2009. So far I have not been able to find a job here in wisconsin. I will use this forum to increase my knowledge until I can find a job.
Back to top Go down
DaveS

DaveS

PostSubject: Re: Introducing ourselves.   Introducing ourselves. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 9:04 am

Aurora currently has 2 openings for Biomed 1 positions..one at the NEW Summit hospital in Oconomowoc, another at St. Lukes in Milwaukee.
http://www.aurorahealthcare.org/

check under careers, jobs, whatever and do a search for biomed.

hurst54 wrote:
Hurst54,
Hi, I served in the U.S.Army for a few years in the communication electronic repair field. I thought I would transfer my electronic background into the medical field. I graduated in May 2009. So far I have not been able to find a job here in wisconsin. I will use this forum to increase my knowledge until I can find a job.
Back to top Go down
jboulter

jboulter

PostSubject: Re: Introducing ourselves.   Introducing ourselves. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 10:19 am

Hi,

I graduated from DeVry University with a Bachelors of Science in Biomedical Engineering in June of 2008. After that, I moved to Montana where I currently work now. I work for the Providence Hospital chain. My plans for the future include taking and passing the CBET exam in May, learning everything I can here in Montana, and then eventually moving to Alaska to continue my Biomed career. I aslo hope to some day go for my Masters degree. I really don't in what yet.
Back to top Go down
jjohnson

jjohnson

PostSubject: Re: Introducing ourselves.   Introducing ourselves. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 2:28 pm

jnewell wrote:
Merry Christmas All!
My name is J.C. Newell and I'm an Army trained Biomed. I have been in the field for more than 10 years -not trying to date myself Embarassed Before I was a BMET, I was an Aircraft Electrician working on Blackhawks and Shinooks. I served in the Army for 5 years and my hubby is still currently serving. Hopefully, he will retire next year. I am hoping to get my CBET Certification and finish up my degree just to better myself.
I have 2 teenagers....need a beer just after saying that! And two of the oddest dogs out there, half Dashund and half Rotweiller. Short, fat, with big heads! I love to laugh and look forward, with eager anticipation to see what the future holds.
I am currently working in the DFW area and am still learning alot.

Well enough about me, what about you?!
I'm pretty sure I recognize you from somewhere, its got to be one of three places, Basic Course, Landsthul, or Korea. 10 years in the field would probably make it Korea....

At any rate, like most people it seems, I was Army Trained through Fitzsimmons, back in '93, after transferring in from the Electronics Warfare Technician side of the house. If I told you what I worked on, I'd probably see all of you getting debriefed by the National Security Agency and having to sign Non Disclosure Statements, so I'll spare you the details.

After graduation I served a 3 year tour of Vicenza, Italy which was cut short by 6 months thanks to the impending closure of the Biomed Advanced Course, and my desire to receive the training before it was too late. Spent a couple years at Hill AFB in Utah doing Depot Level Maintenance on Army Field Hospital Equipment before I received an assignment to Korea in January of 2000. My year in Korea was basically spent as the "On Call" X-ray Repair Guru, getting calls as early as 2am and driving 3 to 4 hours to some locations, often times just ahead of seasonal Monsoon.

After finishing Korea, I moved on to Sheppard AFB, Tx in 2001, where I spent the next 5 years as Tri-Service School Instructor for the Biomed Course, emphasizing in Small Cap Diagnostic Imaging.

Getting closer to retirement, I requested a final reassignment which took me to Walter Reed Army Medical Center, just ahead of the firestorm that would later take down more than a few high ranking officials. Of course I was lucky enough to retire from there before things really hit the fan, but if you were smart enough to see the writing on the wall, you knew it was coming.

I moved back to Texas and eventually accepted a position at Baylor University Medical Center, where I have currently been working for almost 3 years as part of the OR Biomed Department.

Education wise, I'm short a few credits of a BS Degree, and hoping to eventually take and pass the CBET.
Back to top Go down
jnewell

jnewell

PostSubject: Re: Introducing ourselves.   Introducing ourselves. Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 5:04 pm

Hey JJohnson,
I was at Sheppard, AFB in 2001 as a student. Maybe you were one of my instructors? Do you remember Mr. Strawbridge or SFC Laverne, well back then he was DS Laverne.
Back to top Go down
jjohnson

jjohnson

PostSubject: Re: Introducing ourselves.   Introducing ourselves. Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 5:30 pm

jnewell wrote:
Hey JJohnson,
I was at Sheppard, AFB in 2001 as a student. Maybe you were one of my instructors? Do you remember Mr. Strawbridge or SFC Laverne, well back then he was DS Laverne.
Yes. That's where it was from!! I was your Block 9 Instructor (along with the cantankerous Mr. Strawbridge!!). You were one of my first students. That's why your name and story sounded so familiar. And yes, I was stationed in Korea with DS Lurch (the man was inhumanly tall!!). I think he got picked up for MSG but decided to go Warrant instead.

Small World!!!
Back to top Go down
Greg Bales

Greg Bales

PostSubject: Re: Introducing ourselves.   Introducing ourselves. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 12:45 am

Mr. Strawbridge!

I love that guy, mean old bastard. He made Radio block fun, it was my favorite.
Back to top Go down
jnewell

jnewell

PostSubject: Re: Introducing ourselves.   Introducing ourselves. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 3:07 am

Oh my gosh!! It is a small world! This is awesome. Do either of you know if Mr. Strawbridge is still kicking it around Sheppard?
Back to top Go down
clstephenson

clstephenson

PostSubject: Introducing ourselves   Introducing ourselves. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 10:56 am

Hello everyone,

My name is Chris and I am actually still a Biomed student. I will graduate in August and hopefully be able to find that first job. Eventually, I would love to learn about the imaging side of the field.

I spent 6 years in the Air Force as an Aircraft Structural Maintenance Technician (sheetmetal repair and corrosion control) with most of my time spent at McChord AFB in Washington and Aviano Italy. After that, I worked as a web developer/IT technician for a while, and then dabbled a little bit in construction. I've also spent a lot of time taking college courses, but never enough to finish a particular degree. When I found the Biomed program here in Spokane, I knew that it would be a perfect fit for me as I have always been interested in the medical field, and I love to troubleshoot and fix things. I can't wait to finish school and really start learning!

I hope to eventually pass the CBET exam and have been poking around on this site since it went public, so I figured I should go ahead and post something. I also been watching the videos, and have to say that the electronics videos over the last several weeks have been a great refresher, even for school.

Merry Christmas,

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.clstephenson.com
jjohnson

jjohnson

PostSubject: Re: Introducing ourselves.   Introducing ourselves. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 2:04 pm

jnewell wrote:
Oh my gosh!! It is a small world! This is awesome. Do either of you know if Mr. Strawbridge is still kicking it around Sheppard?
When I came back in 2007, he was still there. I know he was talking about Retiring, but he's got nothing else to do with his time. I used to tease him and say that they are going to build a Virtual Reality Mr. Strawbridge as a tribute to him and all the years that he's been teaching (was my Instructor as well), so that he will live on forever in the BMET Course. Who knows.... It could have already happened??!!!
Back to top Go down
jnewell

jnewell

PostSubject: Re: Introducing ourselves.   Introducing ourselves. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 3:27 pm

ROFLMAO.... I used to hear stories about that man gutting out an AMX 4 and making a little car out of it, if you can believe that. If anything they should have his lab coat bronzed!
Back to top Go down
jjohnson

jjohnson

PostSubject: Re: Introducing ourselves.   Introducing ourselves. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 3:37 pm

jnewell wrote:
ROFLMAO.... I used to hear stories about that man gutting out an AMX 4 and making a little car out of it, if you can believe that. If anything they should have his lab coat bronzed!
Yeah, SFC Gomez was the culprit for that one. I think he was away at WOC when you came through. Nevertheless, it was a story that we continued to spread for every class once it got to the AMX 4 portion of the Module, at least while I was there.

By the way, did you pass your CBET? One of our Baylor Techs got his results last week I'm guessing, as it was announced at our Monthly Continuing Education Meeting that he passed. Dennis Duck (another Sheppard Ex-Navy BMET Instructor).
Back to top Go down
jnewell

jnewell

PostSubject: Re: Introducing ourselves.   Introducing ourselves. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 4:42 pm

Way to go DDuck! I didn't get the opportunity to take it last month due to family issues, however, I am determined to take it in May and get those initials behind my name. So, you work for Baylor here in Dallas! Cool beans! Tell David B. that I said, "Hi". I believe that Mike Lindahl works for you guys also, right. He's a cool guy, too.
Back to top Go down
jjohnson

jjohnson

PostSubject: Re: Introducing ourselves.   Introducing ourselves. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 4:49 pm

Mike actually works out of Baylor Carrolton. I'm downtown Dallas, at "Big Baylor". I'm assuming you are referring to David Bilder?? If so, he's here at Big Baylor, but we work in separate Shops, although I see him quite regularly. I'll pass on the message!
Back to top Go down
jnewell

jnewell

PostSubject: Re: Introducing ourselves.   Introducing ourselves. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 5:26 pm

Haahhahaa, no, I'm referring to David Brautigaum. Arrow
Back to top Go down
jjohnson

jjohnson

PostSubject: Re: Introducing ourselves.   Introducing ourselves. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 5:44 pm

jnewell wrote:
Haahhahaa, no, I'm referring to David Brautigaum. Arrow
Oh...., yeah, he's in the Corporate Building downtown. You know, up there with the bigwigs. We only see him when the Red Sea parts or the 41st day after the rain has stopped.
Back to top Go down
spinkik1

spinkik1

PostSubject: Re: Introducing ourselves.   Introducing ourselves. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 10:40 am

Hello everyone! My name is Art and I am a BMET at Truman Medical Center in Kansas City, MO. I have been working here for nearly 2 years but in the medical field for 4 years now. Graduted from DeVry University in '03 and have had plenty of job exprience from dealing cards to scoreboards and video displays and now medical equipment.

I plan on getting certified if I could find a good study group locally. (we don't have a very active biomed societies here, apparently there are 2 different societies) But really, I want to get certified to show professionalism, I have had many jobs that I really liked but got bored with them. Becoming a BMET has got to be the best thing that I have gotten into, definitly rewarding.

I hope to gain alot of knowledge from this, thank you all much and Happy Holidays!!!!
Back to top Go down
jcjimenez

PostSubject: Re: Introducing ourselves.   Introducing ourselves. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2010 6:51 pm

Hi I'm JC Jimenez from Dominican Republic and now I'm starting in this area, but I work with microsurgical oftalmology equipment for 3 years. I was looking for a site like this. When I finish my biomedical technician course I want to become a BMET. Thanks you all.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Introducing ourselves.   Introducing ourselves. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2010 11:45 pm

We are so glad to see so many members that have joined. We are happy to meet each and every one of you. We hope that you all gain much from this forum.
Welcome! study
Back to top Go down
http://www.cbetstudyforum.com
aarmenta

PostSubject: Re: Introducing ourselves.   Introducing ourselves. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 2:43 pm

MY name is Andy Armenta. Rougly I have 15 years in-house and 5 years with Datascope and 2 years with GE. I graduated with the Double E from DEVRY in 1986, Phoenix campus. I started as a Dialysis technician in 1982 and moved to Clinical Engineering in 1984. By 1987, I moved back home to Anaheim, Ca. with a position with Datascope Corp. I did field service for 5 years and In 1992, I decided to pursue my wonderful music career. That lasted 6 years. I came back to the field in 1998 and have been at the same facility for over 10 years. I was a regional manager for 5 facilities for a few years before the hospital was sold. I've been to radiology school and am the cardiac specialist for my company, trained in Heart/Lung, IABP, Cardioplegia Pumps etc. I also teach at a local trade college. I teach a Biomedical Instrumentation class and the Lab also. Work about 70 hours a week and play music on the weekends. I can honestly tell you I would love to take a class in "How to be a Couch Potato" because I need a lot of help in that category!
Back to top Go down
jnewell

jnewell

PostSubject: Re: Introducing ourselves.   Introducing ourselves. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 9:11 pm

Hey Andy, thank you for introducing yourself. And believe me, I would love to take that Couch Potato Class with you. Maybe CTI Productions can build a course on that! Anywho, good to hear from you!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Introducing ourselves.   Introducing ourselves. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Introducing ourselves.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CBET Study Forum :: Hello! And you are?-
Jump to: